LONDON – Accor’s portfolio of brands led Europe in hotel room Net Unit Growth (NUG) in 2019, while Oyo Hotels & Homes posted the highest growth for an individual brand, according to STR.
STR examined the recent growth of parent companies and brands and will launch a full European list during next week’s International Hospitality Investment Forum (IHIF) in Berlin. This is the first of a series of 2019 NUGget lists for the global hotel industry.
“As the industry evolves from looking at the size of the development pipeline to looking at net unit growth, we’re pleased to provide the first-ever leaderboard of NUG for individual brands and for parent companies that own portfolios of brands,” said Robin Rossmann, STR’s international managing director. “Many on this 2019 NUGget list for Europe are large global hotel chains that have accelerated their growth by focusing on both management and increasingly franchise business models in the European marketplace. That being said, large regional chains have also demonstrated their ability to grow significantly—helped by their increased flexibility in using leased and owned models of hotel ownership.”
Each of the top five parent companies for 2019 NUG in Europe rank in the global top 10 for room counts, according to the STR 500 as of 31 December 2019.
STR at IHIF
- 3 March (09:10-09:40) – Robin Rossmann (managing director) – “The business of hotels: Performance indicators and forecasts”
- 3 March (12:00-13:00) – Natalie Weisz (senior manager, research) – “Investing in the Greek market”
- 3 March (16:00-16:45) – Dennis Spitra (director of business development) – “Looking into CEE markets”
- 3 March (14:00-14:45) – Alexander Robinson (senior manager, industry partners) – “Investing in Portugal: Opportunities and Financial Instruments”
- 3 March (17:00-17:45) – Thomas Emanuel (director) – “African hospitality: What are the opportunities for international investors?”
Building on its NUGget list series launch at IHIF, STR will release lists for additional world regions during key conferences over the next several months: Middle East (AHIC), North America (NYU Conference), Latin America (SAHIC) and Asia Pacific (HICAP).
STR provides premium data benchmarking, analytics and marketplace insights for global hospitality sectors. Founded in 1985, STR maintains a presence in 15 countries with a corporate North American headquarters in Hendersonville, Tennessee, an international headquarters in London, and an Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore. STR was acquired in October 2019 by CoStar Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: CSGP), the leading provider of commercial real estate information, analytics and online marketplaces. For more information, please visit str.com and costargroup.com.
Phone: +44 203 890 0056 ext. 0056