LAS VEGAS—MGM Resorts International announced an evolved vision for social impact and sustainability including setting goals to bolster diversity and inclusion, donate millions of meals and continue offering scholarship and educational opportunities for employees and their families. Through a commitment to be “Focused on What Matters: Embracing Humanity and Protecting the Planet,” MGM Resorts is committing to creating a more sustainable future, while striving to make a bigger difference in the lives of its employees, guests and in the communities where the company operates.
“As a company with a global presence and more than 80,000 employees worldwide, MGM Resorts recognizes our responsibility extends beyond simply serving our customers and growing our bottom line. Focused on What Matters elevates and builds upon our work and investments in responsible leadership and provides a roadmap for making the most meaningful, enduring impact possible,” said MGM Resorts Chairman and CEO Jim Murren. “I am proud of the long-held values that have always guided how our organization addresses societal needs, and I am honored to lead MGM Resorts as we embark on this mission.”
Four Priority Areas
MGM Resorts set concrete goals within four priority areas, guided by the company’s commitment to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. They are:
- Fostering Diversity & Inclusion: MGM Resorts is committed to developing and enhancing talent management systems that ensure equal access to employment and career growth opportunities for all. Through education and training, the company creates welcoming, inclusive environments where diverse ideas and perspectives lead to innovative and creative solutions to drive business growth and expand company goodwill around the world.
- Investing in Community: In collaboration with the public sector, policy makers, educators and nonprofit organizations, MGM Resorts strives to expand pathways to economic security for its workforce. By enhancing the social and cultural fabric in the communities where it operates, the company is working to elevate the quality of life for everyone in its communities.
- Caring for One Another: Through volunteerism, employee giving and company philanthropy, MGM Resorts instills philanthropic commitment and pride in employees that drives positive social impact in their communities. With a focus on core initiatives of hunger relief, public education, workforce development, diversity, environmental sustainability, and health & wellness MGM Resorts supports its host communities’ unique challenges.
- Protecting the Planet: MGM Resorts believes that environmental leadership is critical to ensuring the long-term viability of corporations—and the planet. It is committed to being a global advocate in accelerating the fight against climate change. Through sustainable design and construction, it will build with tomorrow in mind and through its responsible operations and aim to reduce its negative environmental impacts.
MGM Resorts’ social impact and sustainability goals are woven into the company’s strategic plans from its people practices, to sustainable business operations, to global supply chain networks. Some of the company’s commitments to achieve by 2025 include:
- Reaching 1 million cumulative volunteer hours through the employee volunteer program;
- Donating 5 million meals through the company’s Feeding Forward program, which provides unserved food from its resorts;
- Awarding 600 post-secondary scholarships to children of employees;
- Reducing carbon emissions per square foot by 45 percent, energy per square foot by 25 percent, water per square foot by 30 percent and achieving 60 percent materials diversion rate;
- Spending at least 10 percent of the company’s domestic biddable procurement spend with diverse suppliers; and
- Ensure that all employees—including women, the LGBTQ+ community, people of color and people with disabilities—have equal access to leadership opportunities throughout MGM Resorts and that its policies of inclusion are embedded into its culture.
In addition to creating a new vision, MGM further confirms its commitment to enhancing its focus on embracing humanity and protecting the planet, by signing onto the United Nations Global Compact which calls on companies to align strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labor, environment and anti-corruption and take actions that advance societal goals.
In a letter to the Secretary-General, Murren says, “MGM Resorts International is committed to joining the United Nations Global Compact…we express our intent to enhance our focus on these principles in our company. We also commit to advancing the broader goals of the UN, particularly the Sustainable Development Goals.”
More details about Focused on What Matters: Embracing Humanity and Protecting the Planet can be found at https://www.mgmresorts.com/focused.