NATIONAL REPORT—The 49th
Earth Day, to be held on Monday, April 22, is prime time for green hotels
around the planet to shine a light on their sustainability programs. The
following hotels and one green organization have announced plans for activities
and special promotions. If your property has activities planned for Earth Day,
Earth Week or Earth Month, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In honor of Earth Day, the Hyatt Regency Hotel and Spa in Monterey (Calif.) is
offering the following promotions:
- The hotel will give out
a “Plant Your Pencil” to the first 100 guests who check in on April
22. The pencils come in five different herb varieties including Basil,
Cilantro, Parsley, Cherry Tomatoes and Mint.
- The Fireplace Lounge will be dimmed
from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. to save electricity.
- A special acoustic guitar player
will entertain guests.
- The Lounge will feature menu
specials appealing to locavores, vegetarians, and vegans using both locally
grown and organic ingredients.
- The hotel will offer wine by the
glass with Twisted Roots green, sustainable wine.
Hotel Felix Chicago Earth Month Opportunities
- Earth Day, Earth Stay: Starting at 12 p.m. CDT, April 2, the discounted Earth Day room rate of just $20.19 per night (exclusive of the Chicago hotel tax), was available to people who reserved a room for a stay on Earth Day, April 22, 2019. Guests were encouraged to visit www.hotelfelixchicago.com and use promo code EARTH. The offer was available to the first five reservations.
- Green Groups Save Green: During Earth Month, eco-friendly group bookings will receive 22 percent off the best available rate if they provide proof of any way they reduce their carbon footprint, such as their corporate recycling program. This special discount is available only for new group bookings in April, May and June 2019.
- Be Green and Tweet Green: Hotel Felix will host a Twitter giveaway during Earth Month to encourage travelers to tweet their green tips. Anyone who is passionate about the environment can tweet how they are being green for a chance to win a two-night stay at Hotel Felix (some restrictions and blackout dates apply). The person who tweets the most tips to @HotelFelix with #GreenFelix during April 2019 will win. Management will determine if there is a tie. The giveaway started at 9 a.m. CDT, April 1 and runs until April 30 at 5 p.m. CDT. The winner will be announced by 12 p.m. CDT, May 7, 2019.
- Earth Month Instagram Giveaway: From April 22 to 30, 2019, guests and Chicagoans can enter the Hotel Felix Instagram giveaway. To enter, guests must share a new photo on Instagram showing how they’re green and tagging @HotelFelix and #HappyNaturally. Entrants have a chance to win a two-night stay at Hotel Felix and a $100 gift card to Troquet River North, the delectable French bistro adjacent to the Hotel Felix lobby. Management will select a winner by 12 p.m., CDT, May 7, 2019. Full giveaway details will be available at www.happynaturally.com.
Ames Boston Hotel Celebrates Earth Month
The Ames Boston Hotel, a luxury boutique property located in the heart of Boston’s financial district, will host a series of eco-conscious events throughout April in observance of Earth Month. The hotel recently became one of only a few Boston hotels to receive its Green Key certification, a distinction given to hotels for meeting certain eco-friendly standards and sustainability efforts, and it will celebrate the special honor by giving local environmental organizations a platform at its “Wednesday Sips” events in April.
The month of events kicked off on March 30 when Ames Boston Hotel participated in Earth Hour, an annual worldwide event that encourages companies, homeowners, and others to turn off their lights for an hour. Beginning this past week, local eco-friendly organizations, such as the Charles River Watershed Association, Mass Audubon, and the Anderson Cabot Center for Ocean Life, will be present at the hotel’s “Wednesday Sips” events. Donation jars will also be available for guests to contribute to each organization’s cause.
Ames Boston Hotel’s Earth Month celebration will culminate with its participation in the 20th Annual Earth Day Charles River Cleanup on April 27. The hotel will lead a team of employees, partners, and other eco-conscious Bostonians in helping clean up the Charles River, one of the city’s true environmental treasures.
Green Spa Network to Share Green Tips
For the month of April
2019, the Green Spa Network will promote sustainable acts by using the hashtag
#JustOneThing. The organization will share tips that anyone can incorporate in
their everyday practices to support change and help improve the health of the
planet. GSN employees and industry leaders have been asked to answer the
question, “What Does Earth Day Mean To Me?,” as well as provide a #JustOneThing
tip to share with the GSN community.
When asked, “What does
Earth Day mean to me?,” Rona Berg, Editorial Director of Organic Spa
Magazine says, “Earth Day is a reminder of how fragile this planet has
become. On Earth Day, when I breathe in fresh air, enjoy a walk in the park and
feel the sun on my face, I renew my commitment to fight pollution and climate
Here’s her #Justonething tip: “Say no to plastic straws and talk to your kids about why it’s so important.”
GSN announces the re-launch of the Action Initiative, the GSN Tree Planting Initiative, in partnership with WeForest,to mobilize the spa and wellness industry to plant 1 million trees. Thanks to the support of the vital community a total of 72,383 trees have been planted. This effort is premised on the critical and urgent need to regenerate the earth using trees’ natural abilities to reverse climate change
Existing and new members of GSN are encouraged to pledge to contribute to this effort in any of three ways:
- Donate Funds to plant new trees through the GSN-WEForest partnership;
- Organize or participate in a local tree planting event; and/or
- Continue an existing tree planting partnership.